Our Music Teachers
Beginning to Advanced Violin Beginning Cello, Viola & Piano
Christine has lived in Anchorage most of her life and is a retired Anchorage School District Orchestra Teacher. After 23 years of teaching for the district, she still has a love of music and the desire to share it with students, especially beginners. Christine has taught elementary, middle & high school orchestra at many local schools including: Hanshew Middle School; Bartlett & Service High Schools. Christine continues to teach part time for the district. She has also taught at Kings Lake Fine Arts Camp and the Birchwood String Camp. Her first love is the violin, but she also enjoys teaching beginning viola, cello & string bass.
- -1979 Bachelor's Degree Music Education K-12, Pacific University
- -1979-2017 Current State of Alaska Teaching Certificate
- -2009-2015 Certified in CPR and Heart Saver
- -1973-1986 Anchorage Symphony & Anchorage String Chamber Orchestra
- -1977-1979 Portland Jewish Symphony
Piano Instruction Beginning through Advanced
Derek grew up in Anchorage and began his career as a pianist when he was 7 years old. Over the years Derek has performed in many piano competitions, received piano scholarships, and excelled in piano performance. Derek enjoys playing and teaching all types of music including classical, rock, pop, blues and jazz. After earning his music degree from UAA in 2006 Derek taught music classes for the university and the Anchorage School District. In 2008, Derek earned a Masters in Piano Performance from Western Washington University. In addition to studying and teaching the piano, Derek enjoys composing, songwriting and creating electronic music on his computer.
- -2008 - Graduated Western Washington University with a Masters in Piano Performance
- -2006 - Graduated UAA with a Bachelors in Music Piano Performance
- -2000 - Graduated East High School, Anchorage AK
Beginning-Advanced Drums & Guitar
Francisco graduated from Service High, here in Anchorage, and he is currently attending the University of Alaska Anchorage. He is pursuing a degree in both Music Performance & Music Education. Francisco keeps busy playing the Mexican vihuela in a local Mariachi band and also teaches Mariachi camps. Francisco is fluent in English & Spanish and marches in the Anchorage 4th of July Parade with the Red, White and Blue Marching Band.
- -2011-Present: Pursuing Bachelor's of Music in Percussion & Music Education at UAA
- -2011-Present: Performs with Mariachi Agave Azul, Anchorage
- -2011: Graduated Service High School, Anchorage
Fred started playing guitar when he was 5 years old and over the years he has learned to play many other instruments including saxophone, percussion, bass guitar, piano, ukulele and recorder. In 2001 Fred graduated Lebanon Valley College Pennsylvania with a BA in Music Education with a specialty in Guitar Jazz Studies. Since 2004 Fred has worked as a music teacher for the Anchorage School District.
- -2004-present Employed as an ASD music teacher
- -2001-2003 Taught high school choir and band classes
- -2001 Earned a BA in Music Education from Lebanon Valley College
Beginning to Intermediate Guitar, Piano & Bass Beginning to Advanced Cello
Ian is an accomplished musician playing a variety of instruments including: cello, piano, guitar and bass for the past 19 years. He grew up in Anchorage and graduated from Polaris K-12 School. Ian has taught both private lessons and group classes at Anchorage Music & Dance Center since 2009. He has been performing music, both in groups and solo, for the last 15 years. Ian was a member of "Bolt Action Beaver", a local band he wrote and performs original songs. He is currently a member of the band, Smile Ease.
- - 2009-Present Pursuing degree in Music Education at UAA
- - 2007 Member of Alaska All State Orchestra
- - 2001-08 Studied Cello with Coralyn More
- - 2001-08 Polaris K-12 Orchestra
- - 2002-03 Junior Youth Symphony
Kira Eckenweiler grew up in Unalakleet, Alaska where she sang in talent shows, at Christmas and spring school programs, church, and out in the country. Kira loves the outdoors, fishing, walking, travelling, and especially singing. Her passion for music inspired her to go to college for a Bachelor of Music degree in Music Performance. While in college, Kira was actively involved in choir and opera. She studied in Italy through the Oberlin in Italy Program in 2015 and has been in three leading roles with the UAA Opera Ensemble and starred as Madame Herz with the Anchorage Opera in The Impresario. Kira has been studying voice now for six years.
- - Bachelor of Music Degree in Music Performance, University of Alaska Anchorage (2016)
- Leading roles with the UAA Opera Ensemble: Savitri in Savitri (2016), Gretel in Hansel and Gretel (2015) , Adina in The Elixir of Love (2013)
- With the Anchorage Opera: Madame Herz in The Impresario (2015) and chorus roles in Lucia di Lammermoor, Die Fladermaus, Tosca, and Madame Butterfly
- UAA Symphony of Sounds Soloist (2013)
- Alaska Solo & Chamber Ensemble Competition Command Performance Soloist (2011)
- Alexander Technique, Bel Canto, and Vocal Pedagogy training
Beginning to Intermediate Guitar & Bass Beginning Piano
Luke has played guitar since 1996, and he also plays the upright bass. He studied with Larry Beekman in Kansas City for 3 years. Luke has taught both private lessons and group music classes since 2005.
- -13 years playing Classical & Finger style guitar
- -Taught College Economics
- -Teaching guitar & bass for 8 years
Music FunTime - Preschool Music
Mariana’s musical background includes playing violin for 11 yrs. She started out performing in her Romig Middle School and West High School orchestras. In 2011 Mariana was a founding member of Alaska’s only Mariachi band, Agave Azul, and has been singing and playing violin at events all around Anchorage. Mariana also speaks Spanish and began teaching Music Funtime at Anchorage Music and Dance Center in 2015. She enjoys sharing her love of music with her young students.
- -2016 – Expects to complete degree at UAA, Anchorage in Small Business Administration
- -2015 - Music Funtime teacher for Anchorage Music and Dance Center
- -2011- present violinist and singer in Agave Azul Mariachi Band
Beginning to Advanced: Voice, Piano & Violin
Robin grew up playing piano, clarinet, flute, guitar and singing in choirs. Her love of music led her to excel in many musical groups including Pennsylvania Allstate Band (clarinet), University of Montpellier France (flute ensembles), and Lebanon Valley College Chamber and Concert Choirs. She graduated college with a music education degree and spent many years teaching classroom music at Aquarian Charter School in Anchorage and is currently the choir director at the school.
- -2004-Present Employed as a music teacher with the Anchorage School District
- -2004-2014 Taught private voice, piano and flute lessons
- -2003 Bachelor's Degree, Music Education, Lebanon Valley College
Beginning to Advanced Guitar & Piano Beginning Mandolin; Composition
Troy has been making music since he was 9 years old. He's been playing the piano for 18 years and the guitar for 13 years. Troy also composes music, plays in his band called, "Shybones" and has recorded a cd with his band. Troy has been at Anchorage Music & Dance Center since 2006. He teaches private music lessons and a Rock Band Performance & Recording class.
- - Plays and teaches Rock, Folk & Bluegrass style music
- - 3 years of classical piano experience
- - Participated in the Maria Downey Piano Competition
- - Received the Exxon Mobile Master Artist Series Award