Our Music Teachers
Beginning to Advanced Violin Beginning Cello, Viola & Piano
Christine has lived in Anchorage most of her life and is a retired Anchorage School District Orchestra Teacher. After 23 years of teaching for the district, she still has a love of music and the desire to share it with students, especially beginners. Christine has taught elementary, middle & high school orchestra at many local schools including: Hanshew Middle School; Bartlett & Service High Schools. Christine continues to teach part time for the district. She has also taught at Kings Lake Fine Arts Camp and the Birchwood String Camp. Her first love is the violin, but she also enjoys teaching beginning viola, cello & string bass.
- -1979 Bachelor's Degree Music Education K-12, Pacific University
- -1979-2017 Current State of Alaska Teaching Certificate
- -2009-2015 Certified in CPR and Heart Saver
- -1973-1986 Anchorage Symphony & Anchorage String Chamber Orchestra
- -1977-1979 Portland Jewish Symphony
Piano Instruction Beginning through Advanced
Derek grew up in Anchorage and began his career as a pianist when he was 7 years old. Over the years Derek has performed in many piano competitions, received piano scholarships, and excelled in piano performance. Derek enjoys playing and teaching all types of music including classical, rock, pop, blues and jazz. After earning his music degree from UAA in 2006 Derek taught music classes for the university and the Anchorage School District. In 2008, Derek earned a Masters in Piano Performance from Western Washington University. In addition to studying and teaching the piano, Derek enjoys composing, songwriting and creating electronic music on his computer.
- -2008 - Graduated Western Washington University with a Masters in Piano Performance
- -2006 - Graduated UAA with a Bachelors in Music Piano Performance
- -2000 - Graduated East High School, Anchorage AK
Beginning-Advanced Drums & Guitar
Francisco graduated from Service High, here in Anchorage, and he is currently attending the University of Alaska Anchorage. He is pursuing a degree in both Music Performance & Music Education. Francisco keeps busy playing the Mexican vihuela in a local Mariachi band and also teaches Mariachi camps. Francisco is fluent in English & Spanish and marches in the Anchorage 4th of July Parade with the Red, White and Blue Marching Band.
- -2011-Present: Pursuing Bachelor's of Music in Percussion & Music Education at UAA
- -2011-Present: Performs with Mariachi Agave Azul, Anchorage
- -2011: Graduated Service High School, Anchorage
Fred started playing guitar when he was 5 years old and over the years he has learned to play many other instruments including saxophone, percussion, bass guitar, piano, ukulele and recorder. In 2001 Fred graduated Lebanon Valley College Pennsylvania with a BA in Music Education with a specialty in Guitar Jazz Studies. Since 2004 Fred has worked as a music teacher for the Anchorage School District.
- -2004-present Employed as an ASD music teacher
- -2001-2003 Taught high school choir and band classes
- -2001 Earned a BA in Music Education from Lebanon Valley College
Beginning to Intermediate Guitar, Piano & Bass Beginning to Advanced Cello
Ian is an accomplished musician playing a variety of instruments including: cello, piano, guitar and bass for the past 19 years. He grew up in Anchorage and graduated from Polaris K-12 School. Ian has taught both private lessons and group classes at Anchorage Music & Dance Center since 2009. He has been performing music, both in groups and solo, for the last 15 years. Ian was a member of "Bolt Action Beaver", a local band he wrote and performs original songs. He is currently a member of the band, Smile Ease.
- - 2009-Present Pursuing degree in Music Education at UAA
- - 2007 Member of Alaska All State Orchestra
- - 2001-08 Studied Cello with Coralyn More
- - 2001-08 Polaris K-12 Orchestra
- - 2002-03 Junior Youth Symphony
Beginning to Intermediate Guitar & Bass Beginning Piano
Luke has played guitar since 1996, and he also plays the upright bass. He studied with Larry Beekman in Kansas City for 3 years. Luke has taught both private lessons and group music classes since 2005.
- -13 years playing Classical & Finger style guitar
- -Taught College Economics
- -Teaching guitar & bass for 8 years
Beginning to Advanced: Voice, Piano & Violin
Robin grew up playing piano, clarinet, flute, guitar and singing in choirs. Her love of music led her to excel in many musical groups including Pennsylvania Allstate Band (clarinet), University of Montpellier France (flute ensembles), and Lebanon Valley College Chamber and Concert Choirs. She graduated college with a music education degree and spent many years teaching classroom music at Aquarian Charter School in Anchorage and is currently the choir director at the school.
- -2004-Present Employed as a music teacher with the Anchorage School District
- -2004-2014 Taught private voice, piano and flute lessons
- -2003 Bachelor's Degree, Music Education, Lebanon Valley College
Beginning to Advanced Guitar & Piano Beginning Mandolin; Composition
Troy has been making music since he was 9 years old. He's been playing the piano for 18 years and the guitar for 13 years. Troy also composes music, plays in his band called, "Shybones" and has recorded a cd with his band. Troy has been at Anchorage Music & Dance Center since 2006. He teaches private music lessons and a Rock Band Performance & Recording class.
- - Plays and teaches Rock, Folk & Bluegrass style music
- - 3 years of classical piano experience
- - Participated in the Maria Downey Piano Competition
- - Received the Exxon Mobile Master Artist Series Award
Beginning to Advanced Violin & Viola Beginning to Intermediate Piano
Born in Fort St. John, British Columbia, Glenn began his violin studies at the age of four. At 12 years old he began teaching beginner violin through his parent’s music studio. He continued his teaching and musical studies in Ohio throughout high school, becoming a member of the Akron Youth Symphony. He received his Bachelor’s degree in Violin Performance in 2014 from the University of Akron. Two years later he earned his Master’s Degree in Violin Performance from the same institution. During this time he was a member of the University of Akron Symphony Orchestra, as well as a substitute for Akron & Mansfield symphonies. Lucky for us, Glenn plans to participate in the Anchorage Orchestra this year too.
- 2013-17: Violin Instructor at Studio Strings, Wadsworth, OH
- 2015-17: Akron Symphony Orchestra
- 2014-16: Graduate Teaching Assistant at University of Akron
- 2016: Obtained Master Degree in Violin Performance from University of Akron
- 2014: Director of Strings at Sacred Heart, Wadsworth, OH
- 2014: Obtained Bachelor of Music in Violin Performance from University of Akron
- 2013: Mansfield Symphony Orchestra
Beginning to Advanced Cello Beginning to Intermediate Piano Beginning Violin
Jenifer grew up in a very musical house and all of her siblings play multiple instruments. Jenifer has played the cello since 4th grade. While her main emphasis is cello, she also has experience in piano & violin. Jenifer is very involved in her church’s orchestra and youth group, sharing music with students of all ages. Jenifer also plays Japanese music in a cello quartet with friends, and has performed at local elementary schools and the Japanese Embassy Emperor Party with the Anchorage Bowl Chamber Orchestra
- -2012-present Completing Bachelors of Music Education, Cello at UAA
- -2012 Graduated Service High School
- -2009 Member of Anchorage Youth Orchestra
- -2006-07 Member of Junior Youth Symphony
Beginning to Advanced Drums Beginning Guitar &Piano
Mark was born in Brooklyn, New York and moved to Alaska in 1998. Since then, he finished school in Anchorage and went on to graduate with a degree in Biology from Whitman College, where he learned to play percussion, guitar and sing. Mark currently attends the University of Alaska Anchorage, studying music education with emphasis on jazz. He also works as a substitute teacher in the Anchorage School District.
- -2015 - Present Attending University of Alaska, Anchoragepursuing a degree in Music Education
- -2013-2014 Taught with the Peace Corps in Sierra Leone, Africa
- -2012 Obtained Bachelor’s Degree in Biological Sciences from Whitman College
- -2008: Graduated Dimond High School in Anchorage, AK
Beginning to Intermediate Piano Beginning to Advanced Violin & Viola
Being an avid learner and lover of all things music, Samantha always aspired to be a part of everything she had the chance to. Growing up moving around in a military family she was homeschooled and had many opportunities to learn various musical instruments. Her list of learned instruments includes the Piano, Violin, Viola and Cello. Samantha has been playing the violin since 2002 and continues to study it in depth at the University of Alaska Anchorage, where she is currently pursuing her bachelor’s degree in Music Education. She has also studied Voice Methods and taught singing to grammar school students. Having learned so much about music and its positive effects, she encourages others to learn about it in whatever way they are able.
- - 2017-Present: Member of the Anchorage Bowl Chamber Orchestra
- - 2015-Present: Pursuing a Bachelor’s Degree in Music Education at UAA
- - 2013-Present: Teaching private music lessons
- - 2013-2015: Member of the Susquehanna Symphony Orchestra
- -2010-2015: Taught singing to elementary students, St. Mary’s Church, Pylesville, MD