Our Music Teachers
Beginning to Advanced Guitar & Piano
Troy has been making music since he was 9 years old. He's been playing the piano for 18 years and the guitar for 13 years. Troy also composes music, plays in his band called, "Shybones" and has recorded a cd with his band. Troy has been at Anchorage Music & Dance Center since 2006. He teaches private music lessons and a Rock Band Performance & Recording class.
- - Plays and teaches Rock, Folk & Bluegrass style music
- - 3 years of classical piano experience
- - Participated in the Maria Downey Piano Competition
- - Received the Exxon Mobile Master Artist Series Award
Beginning-Advanced Drums & Guitar
Francisco graduated from Service High, here in Anchorage, and he is currently attending the University of Alaska Anchorage. He is pursuing a degree in both Music Performance & Music Education. Francisco keeps busy playing the Mexican vihuela in a local Mariachi band and also teaches Mariachi camps. Francisco is fluent in English & Spanish and marches in the Anchorage 4th of July Parade with the Red, White and Blue Marching Band.
- -2011-Present: Pursuing Bachelor's of Music in Percussion & Music Education at UAA
- -2011-Present: Performs with Mariachi Agave Azul, Anchorage
- -2011: Graduated Service High School, Anchorage
Piano Instruction Beginning through Advanced
Derek grew up in Anchorage and began his career as a pianist when he was 7 years old. Over the years Derek has performed in many piano competitions, received piano scholarships, and excelled in piano performance. Derek enjoys playing and teaching all types of music including classical, rock, pop, blues and jazz. After earning his music degree from UAA in 2006 Derek taught music classes for the university and the Anchorage School District. In 2008, Derek earned a Masters in Piano Performance from Western Washington University. In addition to studying and teaching the piano, Derek enjoys composing, songwriting and creating electronic music on his computer.
- -2008 - Graduated Western Washington University with a Masters in Piano Performance
- -2006 - Graduated UAA with a Bachelors in Music Piano Performance
- -2000 - Graduated East High School, Anchorage AK
Beginning to Advanced Flute
Beginning to Intermediate Piano
Jessica graduated with honors from the Las Vegas Academy for the Arts High School in Las Vegas, Nevada. She received her Bachelor’s Degree in Music Performance from Brigham Young University and her Master’s degree in Flute Performance from the University of Nevada, Las Vegas. She lived in the Ural Region of Russia doing missionary work, and she speaks Russian. Jessica is no stranger to Alaska either! She has worked for the Kenai Peninsula Borough School District as a substitute teacher in Soldotna and also at Land’s End Resort in Homer. Jessica is excited to teach private lessons for flute, piano & voice; as well as our Preschool Music Program, Music FunTime, at our Anchorage location!
- --Present - 2019: Completing Post Baccalaureate Certificate, Elementary Education, University of Alaska, Anchorage, Intended Graduation May, 2019
- --2017: Graduated M.M. Applied Music, Flute Performance, University of Nevada, Las Vegas
- --2016: UNLV Concerto Competition Winner
- --2015: Graduated B.M. Music Performance, Bringham Young University, Provo, UT
- --2011: National Flute Convention piccolo Masterclass Performer, with Jean Louis Beaumadier
- --2010: Student & performer with the European American Musical Alliance in Paris, France
Beginning to Advanced Piano & Violin
Beginning to Intermediate Voice
Marie grew up in Anchorage and received her high school diploma from Family Partnership Charter School in 2014. She is currently completing her Bachelor of Music Education and Violin Performance at UAA. She has taught at Alaska String Camps and is a tenured violinist with the Anchorage Symphony Orchestra. Marie is enthusiastic about sharing her love of music with all students: from beginners to the more advanced. Her love of music is infectious!
- --2014 – Present: Completing Bachelor of Music Education and Violin Performance Degree Expects to graduate in 2019
- --2017-Present: Tenured Violinist with the Anchorage Symphony Orchestra
- --2017-Present: Works with Anchorage School District teachers to guest teach student sectionals
- --2012-Present: Soloist and Ensemble member, performs at weddings & special occasions
- --2016-Present: Staff Intern and Violin Teacher with Alaska String Camps
- —Instructs daily music lessons
Beginning to Advanced Guitar
Beginning to Intermediate Piano
Mischa was raised in Anchorage and graduated from Grace Christian School in 2011. He currently attends UAA and is in his senior year studying Music Performance and Education with an emphasis in Classical Guitar. While classical guitar is his passion, he teaches all guitar styles such as jazz, rock, and blues. He is accomplished in piano and also experienced in compositional writing. Mischa enjoys the collaboration of ensembles and sharing his knowledge of ensemble music for the classical guitar. He believes in music education and is excited to teach both beginner guitar and piano students, as well as the more advanced student too!
- --2014-Present: Attending UAA to complete Bachelor of Music Performance and Education Degree with an emphasis in Classical Guitar
- --2017 & 2018: Semi-Finalist in Northwest Guitar Competition and Festival
- --2017: Accepted as visiting composer in the Delian Academy of New Music in Mykonos, Greece
- --2017: Spenard Jazz Fest Band Leader/Organizer
- --2016: Symphony of Sounds Soloist
Beginning to Intermediate Piano
Beginning to Intermediate Violin
Beginning to Advanced Voice
Michael is currently in his junior year of a Bachelor of Music degree in education, with a vocal emphasis from the University of Alaska, Anchorage. He has studied under Christine Keene-Cooke, and received instruction from Mari Hahn & Grant Cochran, all of UAA. He has studied and played piano for 8 years and violin for 4 years.
- - Six years singing in church choirs, high school choir and with the Unviersity Singers and UAA
- - Four years singing as a soloist, bass/baritone
- - Music Theory Tutor at UAA and private voice instruction in vocal techniques & methods.
Beginning to Intermediate Guitar, Piano & Bass Beginning to Advanced Cello
Ian is an accomplished musician playing a variety of instruments including: cello, piano, guitar and bass for the past 19 years. He grew up in Anchorage and graduated from Polaris K-12 School. Ian has taught both private lessons and group classes at Anchorage Music & Dance Center since 2009. He has been performing music, both in groups and solo, for the last 15 years. Ian was a member of "Bolt Action Beaver", a local band he wrote and performs original songs. He is currently a member of the band, Smile Ease.
- - 2009-Present Pursuing degree in Music Education at UAA
- - 2007 Member of Alaska All State Orchestra
- - 2001-08 Studied Cello with Coralyn More
- - 2001-08 Polaris K-12 Orchestra
- - 2002-03 Junior Youth Symphony
Beginning to Advanced Cello Beginning to Intermediate Piano Beginning Violin
Jenifer started playing the cello at the age of 10, along with violin and piano. Born and raised in Anchorage, Jenifer graduated from Service High School and is currently finishing her degree in Music Education with an emphasis on cello at UAA. Growing up, she would always play ensemble music with her siblings- for fun, church, events & special occasions - thus increasing her love and excitement for music. Every weekend, Jenifer plays in her church’s orchestra and in her spare time, participates in local music groups.
- - 2012- present : completing Bachelor of Music Education; cello at UAA.
- - 2017-present: Cello, Choir
- - 2017-2018: Concert Coordinator for Anchorage Chamber Music Festival
- - 2012 : graduated Service High School
- - 2009 : Member of Anchorage Youth Symphony
- - 2008-present: playing in the Anchorage Korean Seventh Day Adventist church’s orchestra
- - 2006-2007 : Member of Anchorage Junior Youth Symphony